Monday 18 March 2013

evaluation 4

Who would be the audience for your film?

When looking at my film there are a few conventions and themes that would suggest that my film is not for the younger generation.

In a previous piece of work i defined what criteria a 15 film must have which included: 

    • strong violence
    • frequent strong language (eg 'f***').
    • portrayals of sexual activity
    • strong verbal references to sex
    • sexual nudity
    • brief scenes of sexual violence or verbal references to sexual violence
    • discriminatory language or behaviour
    • drug taking
    Within my film you can see a few of these themes occuring; within the first forty seconds of my film there is a scene of a women being grabbed and through the sound of this scene, the implications are that she is stabbed and killed in a very brutal manner.
    Later on there is another scene of violence where two youths, who approach the main character with intent to steal his wallet, are struck down and the film ends with the main character raising his fist and bringing it down very fast. Just before it hits the mugger, the film cuts to the title.
    There are also instances of strong language being used within my two minute opening which allows the audience to imply that this will be a recurring theme within the piece. It also gives some insight into what the film may be like; the frequency of swearing may also be linked to the amount of nudity/ drug use/ racism or discrimination and portayals of sexuality. 

    It is for these reasons that i have decided to classify my film as a '15'. I also think that these attributes that i have applied to my film, are appealing to people of the ages 15-30. I feel that people of these ages will watch my film as a way to escape from reality and immerse themselves in a tale of violence, loss and revenge. Seeing as there is so much violence displayed in the media today, especially through the rise of First person shooter games (Call of Duty), i thought that i would apply this to my film in order to appeal to my target audience.
    I feel that my audience will be inclined to watch my film for a few reasons. The first is the genre itself, thriller is a very popular genre among the younger generation. This was shown through my questionnaire as those who viewed my film were pretty much all of the ages 17+ and of the 14 people who took part, 10 ticked the box thriller as a genre they liked. 
    Another thing that supports the idea that 15-30 year olds are my audience is the criticisms of my film itself; in fact there is a distinct lack of criticism, many said they felt that it didn't need to be changed/ improved however in my opinion the voiceover is too cliché.
    Oddly enough many about 7 of the 10 females ticked the thriller box in terms of genre they liked, and all the males ticked thriller. I was surprised by this as i thought among the females that thriller may be a genre that is unappealing, however this is evidently contradicted by my questionnaire results. I can now broaden my audience from mainly males aged 15-30 to males and females aged 15-30.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment