Sunday 17 March 2013

Evaluation question 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your film and why?

In terms of media institutions looking to distribute my film i would hope that my film is distributed by Film 4, TriStar Pictures and Sony pictures entertainment. I have chosen each of these distrubutors for a
number of reasons:




I have chosen Film4 because they tend to release more up and coming, indie/ documentary style films. I think this relates to my piece well as i wanted to stick to the story of a classic revenge thriller with a modern twist, however i didn't want it to be too stylised like most Hollywood thrillers. For example one thriller released by Film4 was Shifty, an interesting thriller that follows the story of a drug dealer. Film4 tend to release films that are similar to 'Shifty' in that they often have slightly controversial or unique story lines which is why i feel my film is suited to a distributor like Film4 as it has an original concept and has an indie feel about the film as it has a low budget. If the budget was to be extended i would aim to try and keep the gritty nature of the film so that it doesnt contrast with the urban environment however i would try to sharpen and stylise certain characters in it such as the main protagonist could be slightly exaggerated in his power.


I have chosen TriStar pictures as they are a distibution company that released the film District 9. Although the film had a relatively high budget the style of filming was unique in that it started as a documentary and then migrated to a constant story of the main character. I feel that my films style of filming is (especially later on in my film) similar to 'District 9' which is why i think company like TriStar Pictures would distribute my film. This would be the ultimate goal as initially this film would not have an american audience. However through distributors such as Film4 and Film London, as my film gains notoriety i would hope that it is recognised as a well made piece of film that would attract a diverse audience that is not exclusive to the UK. 

Although my film might start out in small arthouse cinemas, with a possible american company backing, a larger budget could be allowed and the film could be produced on a new scale, allowing the extending of storyline, characters and action, making the film far more thrilling and exciting to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment